2. B.A.B.Y.
3. Who Does Lisa Like
4. Wildwood Saloon
5. Stay Awhile
6. Suspended Animation
7. It's So Different Here
8. Cuckoo Clock
9. Pin a Medal On Mary (Bonus Track)
10. Girl With a Synthesizer (Bonus Track)
11. Stranger In the House
12. I Go to Pieces
13. Sad Song
14. Truckstop Queen (Bonus Track)
15. Tourist Boys (Bonus Track)
16. Be Stiff (Bonus Track)
If Stiff Records wanted to market Rachel Sweet as an ironic sex symbol, they succeeded only at the irony of forbidden fruit; the picture of her on the back of this disc in a rugby shirt and jeans, head cocked, hands on hips, could grace the cover of Lolita's next edition. Sweet was fully sweet 16 in 1978, though, and pictures aside, "the little girl with the big voice," as the bosses billed her, lived up to that description. Belting, whooping, pleading, and near-weeping through the speakers, she rides the crest of Liam Sternberg and his Spector-ized production (that feel of a marching brass band keeping warm on a snowy morning), embodying the tough, rowdy sides of Brenda Lee and Wanda Jackson, though not so genre-bound as the latter. Sternberg's "Wildwood Saloon" and Elvis Costello's letter-perfect "Stranger in My House" hearken back to Sweet's childhood country records, but Carla Thomas' gleeful "B-A-B-Y," Del Shannon's mournfully up-tempo "I Go to Pieces," and Dusty Springfield's desperate "Stay Awhile" pulsate into new life through her throat, a crackerjack band including Brinsley Schwartz and Lene Lovich swirling faithfully along. Another Sternberg original, "Who Does Lisa Like?," opens with, "Sittin' around in the Firestone parking lot/It's alright!," and climaxes by insisting on the primacy of the title question over starvation in India and war in Baghdad. Only a true believer touched with the power of imputing her true belief could run that one back for a touchdown. ~ ~ Andrew Hamlin, All Music Guide
Rachel Sweet - Vocals
Lene Lovich - Background vocals
Liam Sternberg - Producer, songwriter
Dave Mackay - Producer (Tracks 2 and 7)
Barrie Guard - Producer (Tracks 2 and 7)
Bob Painter - Engineer, Recording
Roger Bechirian - Engineer, Recording, Mixing
Buy Bidmead - Engineer, Recording, Mixing
Charley Charles - Drums
Mark Sugden - Drums, Percussion
Norman Watt-Roy - Bass
Pietro Nardini - Bass, Guitar, Keyboards
Mickey Gallagher - Piano
Brinsley Schwarz - Guitar
Lia Sweet - Percussion
Dick Hanson - Trumpet
Ray Bevis - Tenor Saxophone
John "Irish" Earle - Baritone Saxophone
Paul Gillieron - Soprano Saxophone, Pennywhistle
Chris Glover - Trombone
#77701. Truckstop Queen
02. Pin A Medal On Mary
03. Wildwood Saloon
04. B-A-B-Y
05. Alison
06. Who Does Lisa Like?
Lene Lovich, Wreckless Eric and Rachel Sweet live in concert recorded for BBC Radio 1
1978-11-19
Be Stiff Tour '78 (London, England)
BBC In Concert (FM Broadcast)
recorded for BBC Radio 1 and broadcast on 13 January 1979.
So what the heck is a classic rock bootleg site doing posting a Rachel Sweet show? Well, this is one of those guilty pleasures from my youth. When the then 18 year old Rachel Sweet released her album Fool Around in late 1978, it became a staple on the turntable (yes - it's that old!)in my college dorm room. Part new wave, part early 60's girl group in sound, the album featured songs such a B-A-B-Y, Wildwood Saloon, I Go to Pieces and Sad Song. In the summer of 1979, I got to see Rachel in Central Park as the lead in for Eddie Money. Then, in early 1980, tickets went on sale for Jerry Garcia at the Capitol Theatre, with Rachel Sweet as his lead-in. While my roomies weren't huge Garcia fans, they all agreed we should get tickets so we could see Rachel. And, so I did! The show was scheduled for March 1, 1980. A week before the concert, however, came the announcement that Robert Hunter had replaced Rachel Sweet as the lead-in. No explanation was provided, but I'm guessing there was concern that the Dead Head audience may not have appreciated Ms. Sweet. In any event, a picture of the ticket stub is below, with Rachel's name printed right on it. Also below is an excerpt from Dead Base indicating Robert Hunter opened for Jerry that night. So, chalk this up as another of those posts about artists I didn't get to see! In any event, to commemorate what might have been, here's a short performance by Rachel from November 19, 1978, 33 years ago today, in London. Download and see for yourself why we wore out this disc!
#7771. Tonight
2. Jealous
3. I've Got A Reason
4. New Age
5. Baby Let's Play House
6. New Rose
7. Fools Gold
8. Take Good Care Of Me
9. Spellbound
10. Lovers Lane
11. Foul Play
12. Tonight Ricky
Protect the Innocent is Rachel Sweet's second album containing tracks by Lou Reed and Graham Parker. The backing musicians are uncredited, but it has been rumoured that they were Fingerprintz.
Fingerprintz — британская нововолновая группа, образованная в 1978 году в Лондоне, Англия, певцом и автором песен шотландцем Джимми О’Нилом и, согласно Allmusic, ставшая одним из немногих коллективов, «придавших хоть какой-то авторитет рыночному термину new wave». Квартет исполнял мелодичный пост-панк, выполненный в простых, но изящных аранжировках, созвучный The Smiths и отмеченный склонностью к криминальной тематике. Fingerprinz, выпустив три студийных альбома (два на Virgin Records, один — на Stiff) в 1981 году распались. В 1986 году Бёрнс и О’Нил образовали новую группу, The Silencers.
Rachel Sweet - Вокал
Kenny Alton — бас-гитара, вокал
Cha Burnz — гитара, вокал
Jimme O’Neill — гитара, вокал
Bob Schilling — ударные
#77701 – Shadows Of The Night 04:00
02 – Then He Kissed Me 04:35
03 – Billy And The Gun 04:20
04 – Party Girl 04:24
05 – Two Hearts Full Of Love 03:11
06 – Little Darlin' 03:54
07 – Fool's Story 05:03
08 – Everlasting Love (With Rex Smith) 03:47
09 – Streetheart 03:53
10 - Alison (Bonus Track, Live 1979) (192 kbps)
Rachel Sweet's third album opens with D.L. Byron's "Shadows of the Night," and though Pat Benatar put it on the charts the next year in a glorious overdrive worthy of Jim Steinman, here it's scaled back just a notch, with the lovers' mutual pledge, their sacrifices to each other, even as the majestic chords come ringing out. Paired now with producers Rick Chertoff and Pete Solly, Sweet keeps her huge voice and her hell-bent-for-leather energy with plenty of nods to Phil Spector's masterpieces, but the '60s joie de vivre proves simpatico with '80s creeping synths and anthemic guitar solos. The nervous "Little Darlin," borrowed from Spider's debut, makes a second-side highlight, but two of the strongest tracks emerge from Sweet's own pen at the end of the first side: "Billy and the Gun," a quiet, cinematic crisis wound tight like piano wire, and "Party Girl," a curiously passionate argument against physical passion ("Don't let him know you save it all for rock & roll" is dispensed like spiritual advice from a big sister). The big hit, "Everlasting Love," sticks in your head even if Sweet's duet partner, Rex Smith, sounds like he stepped out of a Pepsodent commercial, but it's the less-conventional material that'll bring this one down off the shelf. ~ Andrew Hamlin, Rovi
#77701 – Voo Doo 03:39
02 – Paralyzed 03:45
03 – Sticks And Stones 04:01
04 – American Girl 03:59
05 – The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter 05:06
06 – Blame It On Love 04:06
07 – Hearts On The Line 03:22
08 – Cruisin' Love 03:37
09 – Cool Heart 03:46
10 – Baby Blue 04:39
Released in 1982, Blame It on Love is Sweet's weakest album, and unfortunately it seems she carries a large share of the blame -- she wrote or co-wrote all the songs and produced the sessions herself in collaboration with Marc Blatte and Larry Gottlieb. Sweet seemed to be reaching for a sexier, poppier image on Blame It on Love, and she looks luscious on the cover, but the album is short on the tough, spunky rock that was her strongest suit, and though she's in solid voice throughout, for every song like "Paralyzed" and "American Girl" that fits her personality like a glove, there's a couple like "Cool Heart" and "Sticks and Stones" that fall flat. (It's worth noting Sweet wrote and produced "Paralyzed" and "American Girl" by her lonesome, which might suggest she didn't have as much autonomy on the rest of the album as the credits suggest.) Fans will be happy to see the latter half of Rachel Sweet's recording career has finally arrived in digital format at last, though a two-fer of Fool Around and Protect the Innocent would be even better (though the bulk of those two albums is collected on B.A.B.Y.: The Best of Rachel Sweet). ~ Mark Deming
#77701. B-A-B-Y
02. New Rose
03. Who Does Lisa Like?
04. Baby Let's Play House
05. I Go to Pieces
06. Spellbound
07. Stranger in the House
08. Foul Play
09. Suspended Animation
10. Fool's Gold
11. Lover's Lane
12. Pin a Medal on Mary
13. Sad Song
14. Take Good Care of Me
15. Wildwood Saloon
16. Stay Awhile
17. Cuckoo Clock
18. New Age
19. Tonight Ricky
20. Be Stiff
It's very easy to remember Rachel Sweet as little more than a juvenile novelty within the Stiff Records canon, one more in a long line of headline-grabbing oddities who vanished from the radar around the same time as people stopped caring what the label itself was up to. To do so, however, serves up a dreadful injustice, to Sweet of course, but also to anyone who actually sits down to listen to Sweet's Stiff Records output and discovers there a treasure trove of excellence. Her Fool Around debut album, in particular, was a masterpiece, a country-new wave hybrid a decade ahead of its time, and littered with some sensational performances -- "Who Does Lisa Like" is only the most obvious, the almost shockingly mature "Wildwood Saloon" only the most surprising. Of course there were a few obligatory bubblegum boppers in there, but when the novelty factor gets too grating, it's the songs ("Cuckoo Clock," "Girl with a Synthesizer") that jar, not the singer. Sweet's second album, Protect the Innocent, was less enthralling, although a lovely cover of the Velvet Underground's "New Age" and a strange take on the Damned's "New Rose" both thrill, while Sweet also unleashed a positively beautiful take on the oldie "I Go to Pieces." All of which lines B.A.B.Y. up as an excellent collection, and a fitting tribute to a singer who should never have been allowed to fade away as she did. At her best, she really was one of the best. ~ Dave Thompson, Rovi
#777Rachel Sweet & Debora Harry - Hairspray
Hairspray: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is a soundtrack of the 1988 John Waters film, Hairspray. It features one original song and rock and roll and rhythm and blues songs by other artists that were used in the film. It was released in 1988 by MCA Records.
#777Rachel Sweet - A Teenage Prayer
Rachel Sweet - Please Mr. Jailer
Cry-Baby is a 1990 American teen musical film written and directed by John Waters. It stars Johnny Depp as 1950s teen rebel "Cry-Baby" Wade Walker, and also features a large ensemble cast that includes Amy Locane, Iggy Pop, Traci Lords, Ricki Lake, Kim McGuire, David Nelson, Susan Tyrrell, and Patty Hearst. The film did not achieve high audience numbers in its initial release, but has subsequently become a cult classic and spawned a Broadway musical of the same name which was nominated for four Tony Awards.
The film is a parody of teen musicals (particularly Grease) and centers on a group of delinquents that refer to themselves as "drapes" and their interaction with the rest of the town and its other subculture, the "squares", in 1950s Baltimore, Maryland. "Cry-Baby" Walker, a drape, and Allison, a square, create upheaval and turmoil in their little town of Baltimore by breaking the subculture taboos and falling in love. The film shows what the young couple have to overcome to be together and how their actions affect the rest of the town.
Part of the film takes place at the now-closed Enchanted Forest amusement park in Ellicott City, Maryland. Others take place in the historic town of Sykesville, Maryland.
Rachel Sweet was a 16-year-old with a powerful voice reminiscent of Brenda Lee's barrelhouse alto when she released her first album in 1978. The album, Fool Around, was notable for her renditions of the country-flavored compositions of her Svengali-like producer, Liam Sternberg, as well as a riveting update of the 1960s Carla Thomas hit "B-A-B-Y." The highly irreverent label for which she recorded, England's Stiff Records, made much of her youth, marketing the sex appeal of her voice and perpetrating a jailbait sexpot image for the young singer. She recorded three more albums before abandoning music to focus on acting in movies, including Second Chance with Gene Hackman and Ann Margaret, and television series like Seinfeld. She also did cartoon voiceovers and worked as a television writer, producer, and director on such series as Sports Night, Dharma and Greg, and The Naked Truth.
Born on July 28, 1962, and raised in Akron, Ohio, Sweet's parents recognized her prodigious vocal talents at an early age. By the time she was six, she was singing in advertising jingles and appearing onstage with Mickey Rooney. She also appeared as an opening act for comic Bill Cosby in Las Vegas. In the early 1970s, her acting talent and innocent appearance won her the lead in the film adaptation of William Peter Blatty's bestselling novel The Exorcist. Conflicting rumors surround Sweet's abdication the role to Linda Blair; one is that her mother was shocked by the language (voiced by veteran actress Mercedes McCambridge) and overdubbed to emanate from the young character's mouth. Another suggests that Sweet removed herself from the project due to language the young actress found objectionable.
In the mid-1970s Sweet recorded several country songs—"Any Port in a Storm," "Paper Airplane," and "The Ballad of Mable Ruth Miller and John Wesley Pritchett"—for the Derrick record label in Ohio. In the late 1970s she became the protege songwriter and producer Liam Sternberg. He wrote and produced several songs with Sweet, including "Truckstop Queen," about a wealthy woman who waitresses "for fun" at one of the chain of truck stop restaurants she owns. Sternberg sent the recordings to the nascent English label Stiff Records, known for their offbeat humor, indifference to loss or profit, and outlandish marketing ploys.
Stiff included several Sweet songs on the Akron Compilation, which came complete with a scratch-and-sniff album cover featuring a large tire (Akron was the home of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company). Sweet's songs appeared with contributions from other Akron bands such as Tin Huey, the Waitresses, and Jane Aire and the Belvederes. She appeared on another Stiff compilation, A Bunch of Stiffs, where her songs were included with tracks by Jona Lewie and Micky Jupp.
In 1978 Stiff released Sweet's debut album, Fool Around, which featured backup musicians consisting of Stiff label mates the Rumour—Martin Belmont, Brinsley Schwarz, Andrew Bodnar, Steve Goulding, and Bob Andrews—a band that rose to prominence in the late 1970s as Graham Parker's backup. The Rumour turned out to be highly adaptable, abandoning the R&B pub-rock they were accustomed to playing in favor of more country and western–flavored playing on such songs as "Wildwood Saloon." Several tracks, however, including "Who Does Lisa Like?," "Cuckoo Clock," and "Just My Style" rock as hard as anything the Rumour recorded with Parker. Interpreting Sternberg's songs and the cover of Carla Thomas' "B-A-B-Y," Sweet's voice is remarkably assured for such a young singer.
Critics praised the album, although Ira Robbins and John Walker voiced their disappointment with the American release. "In its original English release, Fool Around is a great-sounding record that has Sweet voicing Sternberg's vision of the hip girl-child," they wrote in the New Trouser Press Record Guide. "The American version—remixed, re-ordered and with two different tracks—has much less vitality." Robert Christgau, the self-anointed "dean of American rock critics," disagreed, writing on his website, "Two compositions by (ousted?) svengali Liam Sternberg have been replaced on the U.S. release by prime, straightforward rockers. This makes sense. Like Tanya Tucker, Sweet thrives on simple material, and while I like Sternberg's catchy, thoughtful songs, their fussy, uncolloquial moments don't suit Sweet's hot-teen persona … Unfortunately both these songs were left on the LP, while natural Sweet stuff like "Just My Style" and "Truckstop Queen" (on Stiff's Akron Anthology) were omitted. This doesn't make sense." Nevertheless, Christgau graded Fool Around aB.…
In October of 1978 Stiff sent Sweet on a promotional "Be Stiff" tour by train to Scotland. Her backup band was the Records, a British power pop band featuring future solo stars Will Birch and Jude Cole, best known for their hit single "Starry Eyes." The tour was meant to recapture the excitement of the 1977 Stiff promotional tour that featured Nick Lowe, Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Wreckless Eric, and Larry Wallis and His Psychedelic Rowdies. Critic Allan Jones was disappointed, however, writing in Uncut: "Exactly a year ago, I was up here [Glasgow] with the original Stiffs Live Stiff Tour … I'm back now with the Be Stiff Route 78 tour, whose less stellar line-up has had critics tutting disparagingly … This is all a bit hard on the current cast—which includes teenage songbird Rachel Sweet, hoary pub rocker Jona Lewie and power poppers the Records.…"
In 1980 Sweet released her sophomore effort. Recorded without Sternberg, Protect the Innocent contained such songs as "Fool's Gold" by Graham Parker, the Velvet Underground song "New Age" by Lou Reed, "Baby Let's Play House" (made famous by Elvis Presley), Moon Martin's "I Got a Reason," Robert Palmer's "Jealous," and—the song considered to be the first British punk single (also released on Stiff Records)—the Damned's "New Rose." The album also features a seductive song written by Sweet, "Tonight Ricky," in which she mimics the come-hither breathy vocal styles of Julie London and Marilyn Monroe. The album registered with Trouser Press critic Jon Young, who wrote: "Rachel Sweet's second album showcases her impressive voice far better than her first one. With all respect to the competent band, it remains for Sweet to find a foil that will challenge, provoke and push her to new heights. If good is so easy, why not great? It's time someone knocked Linda Rondstadt off her perch." In 1981 Sweet either left or was dropped by Stiff. She remained on the label that distributed Stiff Records in the United States, however, and released And Then He Kissed Me that same year. She received airplay largely due to a duet with teen heartthrob Rex Smith, a remake of "Everlasting Love," which had been a 1967 hit by Robert Knight and an even bigger hit in 1974 by Carl Carlton. The duo also filmed a video of the song. However, the album failed to impress critics or record buyers, the same fate that befell her 1982 release, Blame It on Love, Sweet's final album.
Notable for songs she wrote herself, Walker and Robbins believed the album displayed "signs of revitalization. Though it sounds Tom Petty–influenced, Sweet wrote the entire album's worth of catchy material. She may never regain the youthful charm of her debut LP, but at least this LP shows her regaining control over her musical direction." The critics' prognostication proved inaccurate, unfortunately, and Sweet abandoned her recording career to pursue acting, cartoon voiceover work (including a rumored stint as the voice of Barbie), and directing, producing, and writing. She temporarily returned to singing in 1988 and 1990, when she contributed her vocal talents to the soundtracks of two John Waters films, Hairspray and Cry-Baby.
Rachel Sweet (born July 28, 1962, Akron, Ohio, United States) is an American singer, television writer and actress.
After beginning her singing career at the age of three, when she won an electric garage door opener in a singing contest, she began recording commercials at the age of six, toured with Mickey Rooney, and performed in Las Vegas as the opening act for Bill Cosby at the age of twelve. She began recording country music in 1974, but with little success beyond one minor Country Chart hit. Switching to rock and roll, she signed to the British Stiff Records label and released her first album, Fool Around, in 1978, dropping out of high school to concentrate on her career, although she was still required to devote time to her studies. Sweet was backed by The Records on the Stiff Records tour in 1978. The album was a critical success, but sales were poor, although she did have some success with the single "B-A-B-Y", which was a top-40 hit in the UK. She also generated some controversy for her Lolita-like image. Her follow-up album, Protect the Innocent, produced by Martin Rushent and Alan Winstanley, was largely ignored by the public and the music media. She then signed to Columbia Records in 1981, releasing ... And Then He Kissed Me, which launched the hit single, "Everlasting Love", a duet with Rex Smith.
Sweet only released one more album, 1982's Blame it on Love before retiring. She resumed her education via correspondence courses and went on to graduate from Columbia University in French and English Literature in 1988. She returned to music sporadically as she focused on her education, recording the title track to John Waters' film Hairspray and many of the songs for his musical Cry Baby. In 1989 and 1990, she hosted a show on The Comedy Channel (forerunner of Comedy Central) called The Sweet Life. She also recorded the theme song to the Nickelodeon series Clarissa Explains It All; the theme song was a reworking of the theme song for her show on The Comedy Channel, The Sweet Life. She also provided the voice for the Barbie animated series. In 1992 appeared in a minor role as George Costanza's cousin on an episode of Seinfeld, "The Contest." She has since focused on establishing an acting, writing, and producing career. In 1994 she appeared in All Tied Up. She worked as a writer and executive producer on the television series Dharma & Greg, Commando Nanny, George Lopez and Hot in Cleveland, and has worked in television production since the late 1990s.
In 1982, she had a starring role in a low-budget musical film entitled Rock 'n' Roll Hotel, which also featured Judd Nelson. It was filmed in Richmond, Virginia, at the then-inoperative Jefferson Hotel. The film was never released to theaters, but was eventually finished by Sweet and her father and shown on Home Box Office.
In 1992 Rhino Records released Fool Around: The Best of Rachel Sweet. The CD compilation included tracks from all the previous releases as well as the theme to Hairspray.
Sweet bought Madonna's former home, Los Pavoreales, selling it in 2010 for $4,895,000
http://rachelsweetspot.blogspot.com/
http://www.bobbyshred.com/rachelsweet.html
Правила, инструкции, FAQ!!!
Торрент   Скачать торрент Магнет ссылка
Скачать торрент
[ Размер 20.37 КБ / Просмотров 86 ]

Статус
Проверен 

Размер  590.21 МБ
Приватный: Нет (DHT включён)
.torrent скачан  3
Как залить торрент? | Как скачать Torrent? | Ошибка в торренте? Качайте магнет  

Отправить личное сообщение

Страница 1 из 1

Сейчас эту тему просматривают: нет зарегистрированных пользователей и гости: 1